Friday, November 16, 2012

PROJECT CONDO: ART WALL

It's done!! I put the last pieces of artwork in the frames today. :) Before I go into the details of the dining room art wall, I have to preface this post with the fact that this is the first time, since being married, that I've picked art, bought frames and put something like this together. I had a couple failed attempts when we were living in our old apartment, but ended up taking everything down since we didn't plan to be there long. I've had some of the artwork for over 1.5 years...all rolled up in poster tubs waiting to be used! And now, they're up on the wall...and it's made such a HUGE difference in the dining room. It added so much color and interest. I love it. I also love that as I find new art I can just replace what I already have, I tend to have an ever-evolving sense of style. ;)

For this process I first started by picking the artwork. A couple pieces got cut in the end, but I knew I really wanted my "yes ma'am" piece and my renegade piece to be up on the wall. I started with those as my foundation and began building around those pieces to find other prints to go with the collage. Once I got all of the art, I took a trip to Michael's and bought a variety of wood frames in different colors and styles. I got all of the frames for 40% off PLUS I had a 25% off total purchase coupon, so I ended up being way under budget for the frames. I totally recommend checking out Michael's for frames in the future if you have one close. They have so many to choose from and fantastic prices. The quality is beautiful too.

After all of the artwork was framed, I had my bestest, Jenny, come over and help me collage them on the floor to figure out the right composition. I love the shape she came up with and how she made everything work together. Thanks again, Jenny. I couldn't have done it without you! With a little teamwork, we started at the middle of the collage and began hanging the pieces on the wall. After about 30 minutes we were done! And voila! Art wall complete!

In case you're curious, here's where I bought my pieces: 1// The Universe - Society6 2// Little Trees - Renegade Shop in Chicago 3// I Love My Family - Beauchamping 4// Yes Ma'am - Jordan Grace Owens 5// Construction of a Nebula - Elise Manhan 6// Starlight Symbiosis - Elise Manhan 7// Green Andy Warhol Cat - Art.com 8// Renegade Craft Fair Poster - Renegade Shop

Also, here are a couple helpful posts on how to hang art collages that I recommend checking out:
* Two Rules of Thumb for Hanging Things on Your Walls by Smile & Wave
* Get the Hang of It by Young House Love
* How to Hang Art in Groups (Like Kate Space) by Apartment Therapy

Up next for the dining room? Well I still need to order the rest of my "final touch" pieces, put together a DIY, replace a few things and then I will be DONE, for now anyway. ;) But I'll finally be able to start working on the living room! I'm planning to post about my DIY framed art piece over the buffet table next and then I'll do a big before and after reveal. So exciting!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I'll be over with the beautiful ladies of blogshop, assisting them with their event in Atlanta on Saturday and Sunday. Planning to share pictures next week. :)


16 comments:

  1. It looks so good! I love the arrangement, and the different colors and textures of the frames. You have so many great details going on in your dining room :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! It looks like the page of one of those amazing interior design magazines. And those frames are wonderful as well. I also like that you added a list of all the art work. That Yes Ma'am print is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks great! i love the variety of prints! we've been in our house for 7 months, and have barely hung anything on the wall. it's so hard to pick, and i'm always afraid of screwing it up and having to spackle/repaint!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous16.11.12

    This reminds me I should put my prints into frames too! The composition really is great, congrats to Jenny! :) And nice choice of prints.
    http://www.tamarasblend.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely!!
    The green cat reminds me of those Brown Bear, Brown Bear books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful! Pinning for later, because I love the size placement of the photos. Thanks for sharing Savannah! Have a terrific day:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous16.11.12

    I love the Renegade Craft Fair art! I'm going to my first Renegade Craft Fair here in Austin and I'm so stoked!

    ~Aubrey
    Project Lovegood

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so nice! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so great! In love with the galaxy print. I have some prints that still need framing, I need to get around to that this weekend.
    stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're right! Art DOES make a huge difference in a room. I waited a while to hang anything in our new house. I don't know why, holes aren't that much of an eye sore, and not too difficult to fill in. And when the walls have art, it instantly feels homier!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where did you get your frames?! They're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks great!


    http://owleyevintage.blogspot.com/
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/OwlEyeVintage

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this looks beautiful!!
    I really love how you used different frames and sizes, it looks perfect!
    I want to have something like this in my own house one day too!

    Love, Saar

    ReplyDelete
  14. We are starting to get artwork and hang things in the house for the first time too. You nailed it here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty! I love all the different sizes and how much it flows!! =)

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. You inspired me so much with this! Tomorrow I'm going to a thrift store to get some frames, where I will put some pretty art stuff in. Some I still need to find, some I already have.

    ReplyDelete